First, you get the temporary Partner 820 visa, which allows you to live in Australia for two years. If you want to stay in Australia permanently, you can apply for the permanent 801 visa during this time.

Benefits of a Partner Visa:

Temporary Partner Visa (Subclass 820):

  • Live in Australia for two years.
  • Study in Australia without relying on government funding.
  • Receive health coverage through Medicare, which covers health-related care and expenses in Australia.

Permanent Partner Visa (Subclass 801):

  • Stay, work, and live in Australia indefinitely.
  • Enjoy health coverage through Medicare.
  • Apply for Australian citizenship after meeting the requirements.
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence in Australia.
  • Leave and re-enter Australia for up to five years from the date the visa is granted.

Eligibility Criteria:

  • For Subclass 820:
    • You must be 18 years or older when applying for the visa.
    • You must be in Australia both when applying and when the visa is granted.
    • You need a sponsor, who can be your spouse, de facto partner, or in some cases, the parent or guardian of your spouse or de facto partner.
    • Meeting health and character requirements is essential.
    • You must not have any outstanding debts to the Australian government, or you must have arrangements in place to repay them.

Note: If your spouse or de facto partner is under 18, you can still be sponsored by their parent or guardian, but that person must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.

  • For Subclass 801:
    • You should already hold a temporary partner visa (subclass 820).
    • You must still be in a continuing relationship with your spouse or de facto partner, unless special circumstances have caused the relationship to end.
    • You are required to comply with all the laws and conditions of the 820 visa.
    • Your visa should not have been cancelled or refused while you were living in Australia on the 820 visa.

Sponsorship Limitations:

The Department of Immigration won’t consider a sponsorship application for a partner visa if:

  • The sponsor has been granted a partner visa or prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) in the last five years.
  • The sponsor has already sponsored two people on a partner visa or prospective marriage visa (subclass 300).
  • The sponsor has sponsored someone on a partner visa or prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) in the last five years.

However, there are exceptions in these cases:

  • If the partner has passed away or the relationship has ended, especially if there are young children involved.
  • If the sponsor has been living with the current partner for more than two years.
  • If the sponsor or sponsor’s partner has dependent children.

As a sponsor, your responsibilities include providing your partner with:

  • Housing or accommodation.
  • Financial support for their living expenses, and if needed, assistance with English language courses.
  • Additional support such as childcare if it’s necessary.

You have the option to include your dependent children or stepchildren in your visa application. These dependent family members will enjoy the same rights and visa conditions as you do.

Health and Character Requirements:
You and all your dependent family members must:

  • Complete health check-ups within 12 months before applying for the visa.
  • Provide police certificates from any country where you’ve lived for more than 12 months in the last ten years.

If you’re looking to reunite with your partner using this visa and need a thorough assessment of your situation, don’t hesitate to contact our immigration consultants for the finest solutions today!ithout delay!

Visa Subclasses

Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)
Advantages of Prospective Marriage Visas: As a holder of the Prospective Marriage 300 visa, you can: Visit...
Read More
Partner (Provisional and Migrant Visa) (Subclass 309/100)
Here’s how it works: You first get the temporary Provisional 309 visa, which lets you stay in Australia...
Read More