Here’s how it works: You first get the temporary Provisional 309 visa, which lets you stay in Australia for two years. During that time, you can apply for the permanent Migrant 100 visa to continue living in Australia permanently.

To be eligible for the Partner (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 309), consider these criteria:

  • You should be outside of Australia when you apply and when the decision is made.
  • You must be either married to or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • Both you and your partner must be at least 18 years old when you apply.
  • If your partner is under 18, they must have a sponsor who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen (usually their parent or guardian).
  • Meeting health and character requirements is necessary.
  • Any debts to the Australian government should be repaid before the visa can be granted, if applicable.

To be eligible for the Partner (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 100):

  • You need to already have a temporary partner visa (subclass 309).
  • You must still be in the same marriage or de facto relationship, except in special circumstances.
  • You should have complied with all Australian laws and the conditions of your temporary 309 visa.

To meet the health and character requirements, you and all the family members in your visa application must:

  • Complete health check-ups within 12 months before applying for the visa.
  • Obtain a police certificate from any country where you’ve resided for 12 months or longer in the past ten years.

Sponsors are obligated to provide the following for two years after the applicant enters Australia on the temporary Migrant 309 visa:

  • Accommodation
  • Financial support, which includes English language courses if needed.
  • Additional support, such as childcare if needed.

You have the option to include your children or stepchildren in your visa application.

Looking for help with your visa? Contact our registered migration agent today for a smooth and accurate visa application process.

Visa Subclasses

Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)
Advantages of Prospective Marriage Visas: As a holder of the Prospective Marriage 300 visa, you can: Visit...
Read More
Partner Visa (Subclass 820 and 801)
First, you get the temporary Partner 820 visa, which allows you to live in Australia for two years. If...
Read More